Churches, Museums and Monuments

CATHEDRAL OF ATRI

cattedrale-atri

The Basilica of Santa Maria Assunta, or Duomo di Atri (in the dialect La Cattdral) is the concathedral of the diocese of Teramo-Atri and the main church and the most famous monument of Atri, a trimillenary city of art in the Adriatic region of Abruzzo. kilometers from Pescara, as well as being one of the monuments-symbol of Abruzzo.

Among the most important examples of the Romanesque Abruzzese, the Cathedral of Atri was consecrated in 1223 and rebuilt between the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. It is all in Istrian stone and time has given it a magnificent cork patina.

Simple but at the same time majestic is its rectangular façade, embellished by a beautiful portal, the work of Maestro Rainaldo (founder of the “Atrian school”). It is connected by a frame that branches off from two lions to a rose window surmounted by a niche containing a figure of the Madonna with Child. On June 30, 1985 he was visited by John Paul II

 

HOLY FACE OF MANOPPELLO

volto-santo-manoppello

It was 1999 and a surprising news came from Manoppello, a small but populous village of houses arranged in rows around the primitive castrum, in Abruzzo at the foot of the Majella.Proprio here, “forgotten for 400 years”, so you could say, yes he found the Veronica (the “true icon”), the veil on which the Face of Jesus Christ would have been imprinted and which was once found in the Basilica of Saint Peter’s in Rome.

 

 

 

EUCHARISTIC MIRACLE OF LANCIANO

miracolo-eucaristico-lanciano

The Eucharistic Miracle of Lanciano is the oldest known, having happened according to the tradition around 700.
The prodigy in question occurred in the small Church of Saints Legonziano and Domiziano, in Lanciano, a small town in Abruzzo located just south of Chieti and had as its protagonist a Basilian monk.

While he was celebrating Mass, he doubted that the Eucharistic species had really turned into the flesh and blood of Christ, when suddenly, under the eyes of the friar and the entire assembly of the faithful, the Ostia Magna and the wine changed, respectively, into a piece of meat and blood.

HOLY CLEMENTE ABBEY IN CASAURIA

abbazia-san-clemente-casauria

The abbey of San Clemente a Casauria is undoubtedly one of the most important monuments of the artistic and architectural heritage of Abruzzo, as well as being an important testimony of the monastic organization of the territory in the Middle Ages.

The original church, dedicated to the SS. Trinity, was built in the ninth century on the so-called Insula Piscariense created by the river Pescara, as also shows the bas-relief of the central portal, but was immediately destroyed by the Saracens between 915 and 920. Since then was a succession of destructions and subsequent reconstructions, linked to the figures of Abbot Wido, who remedied to the Saracen destruction, to Abbot Trasmondo, to the abbots Giovanni and Grimoaldo who intervened following the Norman looting, and finally to Oldrio.

MUSEUM OF THE PEOPLE OF ABRUZZO

logo-museo-delle-genti-dabruzzo

Understanding Abruzzo by covering 4000 years
“The destiny of men in the region that has been called Abruzzo for about eight centuries was mainly decided by the mountains …… the Abruzzese remained close in a very unusual community of destiny, characterized by a tenacious loyalty to their economic and social forms even beyond each practical utility, which would be inexplicable if one did not take into account that the constant factor of their existence is precisely the most primitive and stable of the elements: nature “.

Ignazio Silone, introduction to the book “Abruzzo e Molise”, Touring Club, Milan, 1948.

 

GABRIELE D’ANNUNZIO BIRTH HOUSE

gabriele-dannunzio

The ‘Casa Natale di Gabriele d’Annunzio’ Museum is housed in the Palazzo which was owned by the d’Annunzio family from the 19th century and became a national monument in 1927.

D’Annunzio always remained linked to his city and the city wanted to remember the great poet with the preparation of this museum, consisting of photos, explanatory panels, memories and objects belonging to the family and the most spectacular feats of the poet.

Some works by the painter Francesco Paolo Michetti and other local painters illustrate the places sung by the poet. The rooms of the house have been rebuilt with furniture and antique furniture and wall decorations of particular artistic value and introduced by the quotations of the poet’s works.